In 2011, Aschiana Foundation was proud to announce the opening of this center – also referred as the Headquarter. Built on land now owned by Aschiana Afghanistan, the Children Center was designed by the Aga Khan Foundation modeled from a modest, functional, u-shaped building that utilizes traditional Afghan architectural elements and local materials. Walls built around the property’s perimeter provide a secure outdoor space for play, sports and a garden.
The Aschiana Children’s Centre facilitates:
- 24 classrooms
- Health clinic
- Clean bathrooms
- A Library
- Music rooms
- A kitchen for preparing hot meals
- Secure open space for recreational and outdoor activities
- Administrative rooms
Aschiana in Kabul’s Main Center provides thousands of children with:
- Basic educational classes – to help integrate the children to formal schools.
- Tailoring lessons – skills that will allow them to work and to support themselves and their families after their graduation.
- Carpentry and masonry lessons – skills that will provide them job opportunities upon graduation.
- Computer lessons – to help integrate the children to formal schools.
- Recreational activities – art and sports are fun and educational activities that keep the childrens’ minds and bodies healthy.
- Nutritious meals – for many of the children, the centre is their only source of hot meals.
- Lectures raising awareness – for the families and others in the community regarding children rights and protection.
- Stationary – books, notebooks, pencils etc.